Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why I oughtaaaa....

Let me tell you TODAY I almost lost it.



We are having some unusually cold and wet weather in our area this week.

Let me just say that I live in the DEEEEEEEP south and when we have winter it is more like summer. We may have a few days that the weather gets below 30 , BUT not many.

With that said please let me explain.



Yesterday our school system made the mistake of allowing the automated call system call the parents to let them know that we "may be" getting out of school early due to inclimate weather.



Fast forward to this morning 0720 sharp!



Blondie and Curly Sue: "Mrs. Homie, are we getting out early today?"

Me: "Well, we don't know yet. We will just have to wait and see."



0722

Flattop and Little Jimmy: "Mrs Homie, are we getting out early?"

Me:" Well I don't know yet. Principal will make an announcement and let us know."



0723

Little Suzie:"Hey Mrs. Homie, are we going home early today?"



GEEZZ PEEPS!!!

Me:"I just said we do not know YET! We will have to wait till the principal makes an announcement."



0725

Barging through the door like a bull in a china shop.

Lil'Dude:"Hey y'all we are going home early today"

Everyone in chorus"We don't know yet!"



This continues for the next 30 minutes with me having to say" Okay, lets get started on morning work and not worry about that. We will know soon enough. Stop argueing...Hush....Be quite....stop....leave him/her alone..."



Finally I heard the buzz on the intercom "Thank GOD" I thought.



Well as principal rambles on with all the important announcements were waiting anxiously waiting, still waiting, waiting some more. Darn no announcement.



And the barrage of questions begins once again.

And if I said IDK one time i said 1000 times.



SO we begin class and I am trying to keep them busy AND quite.



Every time I pause to take a breath "Hey Mrs. Homie are we going home?"

Me:"Now, didn't you hear the same announcement I did? I DO NOT KNOW!!!!!!"



This unfortunately continues alllllll day!

They come back from PE in a scuffle about if we are going or not.

By this point I want to pull my teeth out one by one!



Fast Forward to 249

FINALLY to my relief its time pack up. The weather really has gotten nasty and much colder. As we are lining up the buzz of the intercom.

"SSSHHHHHH, Hush SSSSHHHHHH"

Principal "May I have your attention please?", he says in a hurriedly raspy voice."We will not have school tomorrow! School will be out Do Not come to school!"



The room erupts in cheers and high fives. In my brain I am cheering too!!!!



The I was run over like a Mack truck came through my room.

Damn! I bet we will have to make this up on one of our holidays.



All day long all I could think of was the old Honeymooners' episodes when Jackie Gleason use to say " Why I oughta". They wore every little piece of patience I had out today.



Kids gotta love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment